We're closing in on the show house opening in about a week and a half…
If you love decorating like I do then you realize that painted ceilings are in these days. And if you’re going to paint a ceiling, why not go bold right? That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking in my plans for the show house closet. It was finally my chance to do something MAJOR and so a black ceiling will be it.
My husband is afraid I’ll paint one in the house.
I’ve tried to convince him of how awesome it will look.
He’s not buying.
So the black ceiling will have to be relegated to the show house and not my own house, and today I want to show you the entire design for the space. Monday I showed the before pictures.
The entire design was created around this fabric. It’s actually a tapestry from Urban Outfitters that I plan to use for the curtains. It’s a bright and bold fabric that I can’t even believe I would pick, but I absolutely love it and can’t wait to use it in the space.
A piece like this is perfect inspiration because you can take colors from it and use them for the rest of the design, which is exactly what I’ve done. Here are all the elements in the room and what I plan to do with them.
- Ceiling Paint Color // Midnight Dream by Benjamin Moore
- Accent Wall Wallpaper // This is called Transitional Sidewall by TotalWallcovering.com. I plan to put this along one of the long walls and wrap it along a small part of the wall that leads into the room from the hallway.
- Wall and Trim Paint Color // Super White by Benjamin Moore
- Leaner Mirror // Every closet needs a leaner mirror. I think the dark frame will contrast nicely with the white walls.
- White Wire Shelving // This is the shelving already up in the space, so for budget reasons, most of it will stay. I’m working on some practical configurations of the shelves, since they can be moved around in different ways, which will be great to get just the look I want.
- Wall Mirror // I’ve been eying this mirror from Target and plan to hang it above the dresser.
- Jewelry Tray // Last July on a trip to the Haven conference I stopped by The Container Store and picked up some of these lucite trays for my jewelry. The clear look makes your jewels shine on a dresser top.
- Clothes Hangers // These simple hangers will work well in the space.
- Wall Hooks // Gold will be an accent color in the closet, and I’ll bring it in on these hooks and some other accessories.
- Accessory Box // West Elm is my favorite store because of beautiful pieces like this marbled box*. Perfect for catching things on the shelves or dresser.
- Fabric for Valet // I have a valet from a thrift store that I’ve been wanting to make over so I’ll bring in black and white stripes to compliment the walls.
- Curtain Fabric // Described above.
- Rug // In this original design I wanted to bring in a fur rug, but now that I’ve been in the space more I’m not sure it’s needed. I’ll make this decision as the room progresses.
- Ottoman // Emerald green is a color I’ve been wanting to use more in decorating and since it’s in the curtains, I think it will do well here. Plus every closet needs a cushy ottoman.
- Valet // The valet has been sitting in my attic and I’m planning to put it in here with the black and white fabric on it.
- Dresser // My plans are to find a dresser from the thrift store and redo it for the room to add storage. I haven’t found the perfect one yet, but will keep looking.
Remember this is about 7’x10′ with two large windows and two doors in the space. So I think these elements will work well. When we get the paint and wallpaper up and the new floors go in, it will feel like a different room all together, so I’ll be curious to see if these pieces all fit in the space. Some may make it, some may not.
This is the first time I’ve put together a design board and it was harder than I thought! Especially since I had not even been in the room. To design a space from top to bottom, with all parts and colors and elements included was fun, and it makes you think about design in a different way.
I’m looking forward to how this will all come together. This week I plan to start painting so wish me luck. The ceiling is made up of those spongy tiles and I hope it takes the paint well.
*This post contains affiliate links.